ANNI SWAN PARK
Anni Swan park is a cosy park area in the center of Kangasniemi. The park has a children’s playground and the Otto Manninen monument “Kaukomieli” by sculptor Ukri Merikanto.
PIRTIN PERINNEPUISTO – PIRTTI TRADITION PARK
The beautiful park with its traditional garden plants is next door to the Rantatori market square on lake Puulavesi. The park boasts more than 200 traditional plant varieties from Kangasniemi. The old-fashioned plants are donations from people all over the municipality. They all represent particular varieties that have been grown in Kangasniemi for ages, hundreds of years even. Some are medicinal plants, others were grown for decorative purposes or as herbs. Thanks to the tradition park’s abundance of information on old plant varieties, it has become a nationally famous point of interest. The plants are labelled in Finnish and Latin.
The park also has a small bandstand, Pikku Pirtti, a number of sculptures and a fountain.
The park was established by Kangasniemen Pihapuutarhurit gardening society.
Ask for a guided tour: Tourist information, tel. 040 139 1360.
KANGASNIEMI LOCAL HISTORY MUSEUM
The museum in the main village opposite the church works in a granary from 1913. The collection of museum artifacts was started in 1937 and now there are around 2,000 of them. The museum’s main attraction is a chimneyless hut re-erected inside the granary. The hut’s last inhabitants moved out in 1937.
The museum is owned and run by the local history society.
The local history museum is open in June and July Tue-Sun 12-15
cultural secretary Irene Spännäri, tel. 040 5964 692
PITKÄPELLON KOTISEUTUTALO / PITKÄPELTO FARM HOUSE MUSEUM
The farm house is situated in the Paappala village 18 km from the Kangasniemi main village. The farm has all the buildings typical of an old Finnish farm such as the main building, 12 outbuildings and a windmill, all in a functioning environment. The last farmer and his family moved out in 1960. In 1967-1968 the place underwent its first repairs and was turned into a museum. The most recent work, a large scale restoration under the leadership of the National Board of Antiquities was started in the early 1990s. The main building’s shingle roof was redone in summer 2008 and the roofs of the remaining buildings will be done in the near future. Summer 2014 saw the re-erection of a split rail fence around the courtyard by a group of volunteers.
Pitkäpelto farmhouse museum is open on July Sundays 12.00-15.00. Other times for groups by prior booking.
Cultural secretary Irene Spännäri, tel. 040 5964 692
JUHANI SAKSA STONE GALLERY
The Stone Gallery summer exhibition 28.6.-26.8.2020.
The StoneGallery exhibits sculptures by Juhani Saksa in natural surroundings on a farm by lake Puula, Southern Savo
Juhani Saksa, tel. 040 586 1878
Vaimosniemi, 51200 Kangasniemi
PEKKA HILTUNEN ART CASTLE
The Art Castle on the Jyväskylä main road is open every day 1st June – 21st August 2020 11 am – 6 pm, otherwise by arrangement. The castle itself, built from the stones of four cowsheds, was completed in 1991. The art consists of paintings, wooden reliefs and antiques. Coffee is available and food can be arranged by prior arrangement.
Eeva and Pekka Hiltunen,
tel. 044 066 1205
The 200 year-old Kangasniemi church was built under the leadership of Matti Salonen in 1811-1814. It is a double cruciform church and seats 1000 people.
PENTTILÄ OPEN AIR MUSEUM
Lucien den Arend’s sculpture park at Penttilä Manor.
tel. 044 264 1212
Sculptures and memorial plaques
Erected in 2018 at Lapaskangas roundabout, “Quisnam Vertitur” was donated to Kangasniemi by internationally known sculpture artist Lucien den Arend. The name of the sculture means “turning” or “changing”, and the artwork looks different from each direction. Photo: Lucien den Arend.
“SOTKALINTU”, SCULPTURE IN MEMORY OF REINHOLD VON BECKER
Sculptor Veikko Haukkavaara’s work ”Sotkalintu” was completed in 1985. Kangasniemi municipality commissioned it on the Kalevala anniversary year to honour Reinhold von Becker (1788-1858). The Sotkalintu -bird stands on the rest area of the old swimming facility by Wiljam Sarjalantie.
PLAQUE TO MARK OTTO MANNINEN’S BIRTH PLACE
The plaque to commemorate poet and professor Otto Manninen’s birth place can be found in Rasinkangas, by the Hokantie – road. It was unveiled in 1955 by Kangasniemi history and museum society.
Otto Manninen wrote a great part of his literary production in Kangasniemi. His wife Anni Swan also spent a lot of time at the family’s summer place on an island in lake Puulavesi.
“KAUKOMIELI”, SCULPTURE IN MEMORY OF OTTO MANNINEN IN ANNI SWAN PARK The year 1997 marked the 125th anniversary of the birth of the Kangasniemi-born poet. “Kaukomieli”, a memorial for Otto Manninen by sculptor Ukri Merikanto stands quite deservedly in the Anni Swanin puisto -park in the centre of Kangasniemi.
PLAQUE TO MARK HISKI SALOMAA’S BIRTH PLACE
The famous song writer Hiski Salomaa’s (Lännen Lokari, Iitin Tiltu etc.) birthplace by the Luusniementie -road is decorated with a memorial plaque. Hiski Salomaa (born Hiskias Möttö) was born in Tipsalo crofter’s cottage in Luusniemi on 17.5.1891 as his mother’s, village tailor Anna-Leena Möttö’s illegitimate child. After the death of his mother, the 17-year-old Hiski emigrated to America with some friends from Kangasniemi. Thanks to his comic songs that appealed to a Finnish sense of humour, his imitating talent and stage charisma Hiski became the most popular Finnish performer on the new continent.
MONUMENT FOR HISKI SALOMAA
A monument to commemorate Hiski Salomaa, the comic song master, was unveiled in summer 2009. The initiative for the monument came from amateur theatre Ilona. It was sculpted by Juhani Saksa and now it stands in the Pirtin Perinnepuisto -tradition park by the Rantatori market square and lake Puulavesi. Portrait: sand blasting by Heikki Räsänen
MEMORIAL STONE FOR THE FAMINE OF 1867-68
In front of the Local History Museum
Text :”In memory of those who died of hunger and dearth during the years of the great crop failure.
Kangasniemi agrarian culture foundation 1970” The shape of the municipality of Kangasniemi has been hewn into the stone.
ENGINEER COMPANY PLAQUE
Municipal hall lobby
A Finnish building contractor found the plaque in 1998 in Jänisjärvi, near Suistamo, on the Russian side of the border.
Transferred to Kangasniemi in 1999
The text hewn in the stone plaque: ”34.PionK 23.10.-39”
1918 CIVIL WAR
Text: ” In memory of our sons killed in the Finnish Civil War in 1918 erected by Kangasniemi congregation”
Graves of eight soldiers
MEMORIAL FOR THOSE WHO DIED FOR THEIR CONVICTION
Text: ”In memory of those who died for their conviction in 1918, workers’ organisations of Kangasniemi”
Next to the church in the old cemetary
Monument: Dying soldier by Lauri Leppänen, 1956
312 soldiers’ graves
Along Kirkkoniementie between the Church and Kunnantalo
The memorial was erected for Kangasniemi heroes who fell during the Winter and Continuation War on November 30, 2017 as a part of Finland’s 100th anniversary.
MEMORIAL FOR THOSE WHO REMAINED IN KARELIA
Text: ”In memory of those who fell and remained in Karelia, the Karelians in Kangasniemi”
Erected in 1954
MEMORIAL STONE FOR THOSE BURIED ELSEWHERE
The present memorial stone is by Juhani Saksa, 2011.
MONUMENT ERECTED IN 1988 BY TELKONLAHDEN TIE -ROAD BY THE WORKERS’ ASSOCIATION
Text: ”Red prisoners Armas Hytönen (born 1901 in Kotka) and Werner Anttoninpoika Wiiala (born in Mustasalo) who had escaped from the prison camp on the nearby Leppäniemi farm were executed at this spot on 19.4.1918. Their bodies were later transferred to Kangasniemi old cemetary.
MEMORIAL OF THE GREAT NORTHERN WAR
The memorial stands by Kirkkoniementie -road between the municipal hall and the church.
Text: ”On 25.1.1714 during the Great Northern War captain R. Långström’s 120 men partisan detail surprised a Russian group of 80 men. 31 of them were killed and 19 taken prisoner. The Finns lost 9 men. Regional history society 1974”
MEMORIAL FOR KANGASNIEMI FORMER CHURCHES
Designing artist Ilmari Virkkala
Stone cutting and engraving Holmin kiviveistämö from Kangasniemi
Erected in 1958 by Kangasniemi congregation
Text: ”Here stood Kangasniemi’s first church built in the 1650s by Nisu Fränti as well as the second church built by August Sorsa in 1748 which burnt down in 1808.
Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men”
The cruciform foundations of the second church are visible as a low stone edging.
The cinerarium was designed by hortonomist Seija Kotilainen and the monument “Look at the Birds of the Sky” was designed by sculptor Juhani Saksa.
MEMORIAL OF THE DEPARTURE TO WAR
Liekki / The Flame by Juhani Saksa
Pirtin Perinnepuisto -tradition park
Unveiled on Veterans’ Day in 1993
Text: ”This memorial is an hommage to the men of Kangasniemi who took part in the 1939-44 wars.”
Donated by Kangasniemi municipality
JUHANI SAKSA’S SCLUPTURES VEISTOKSET
Pirtin Perinnepuisto -tradition park
- Departure and Croaker
Donated by Kangasniemi entrepreneurs in 1997
Memorial to the centennary of Kangasniemi Pharmacy in 1997
“MOTHER’S LOVE” BY EMIL CEDERCREUTZ
Pirtin Perinnepuisto – tradition park
Donated to Kangasniemi municipality by the Emil Cedercreutz foundation in 2012
“POWER OF LIFE” BY SANNA KARLSSON-SUTISNA
Sculpture celebrating Kangasniemi’s 150th anniversary, located at the Rantatori marina.
MEMORIAL OF THE BUILDERS OF KERIKANNANTIE -ROAD
By Kerikannantie -road
Erected on 27.9.2008
MEMORIAL STONE OF PYLVÄNÄLÄN-JOUTSANTIE -ROAD
by Kuupelontie -road, near Joutsantie -road, a large natural stone protected under the Antiquities Act.
An information board next to the stone
The road was built as relief work during the 1868-1880 years of famine. The road was used for a hundred years.