lintu
JUHANI SAKSA’S STONE GALLERY
The StoneGallery’s 22nd summer exhibition 2015
The StoneGallery exhibits sculptures by Juhani Saksa. in natural surroundings on a farm by lake Puulavesi, South Savo
Exhibition open 5.-26.7.2015 daily 12-18.
Inquiries:
Juhani Saksa, tel. 040 586 1878
Vaimosniemi, 51200 Kangasniemi
www.juhanisaksa.com
kangasniemenkirkko
KANGASNIEMI CHURCH
The now 200 year-old Kangasniemi church was built under the leadership of Matti Salonen in 1811-1814. It is a double cruciform church and seats 1,500 people.www.kangasnieme
nseurakunta
.fi/toimipaikat/k
angasniemen-kirkko
kotiseutumuseo
KANGASNIEMI LOCAL HISTORY MUSEUM
The museum in the main village opposite the church works in a granary from 1913. The collection of museum artifacts was started in 1937 and now there are around 2,000 of them. The museum’s main attraction is a chimneyless hut re-erected inside the granary. The hut’s last inhabitants moved out in 1937.
The museum is owned and run by the local history society.
The local history museum is open in June and July Tue-Fri 12-15, Sat 15-17 and Sun 12-15Inquiries:
cultural secretary Irene Spännäri, tel. 040 5964 692
pitkapelto PITKÄPELLON KOTISEUTUTALO / PITKÄPELTO FARM HOUSE MUSEUM
The farm house is situated in the Paappala village 18 km distance from the Kangasniemi main village. The farm has all the buildings typical of an old Finnish farm such as the main building, 12 outbuildings and a windmill, all in a functioning environment. The last farmer and his family moved out in 1960. In 1967-1968 the place underwent its first repairs  and was turned into a museum. The most recent work, a large scale restoration under the leadership of the National Board of Antiquities was started in the early 1990s. The main building’s shingle roof was redone in summer 2008 and the roofs of the remaining buildings will be done in the near future. Summer 2014 saw the re-erection of a split rail fence around the courtyard by a group of volunteers.
Pitkäpelto farmhouse museum is open on July Sundays 12.00-15.00. Other times for groups by prior booking.
Inquiries:
Cultural secretary Irene Spännäri, tel. 040 5964 692
irene.spannari@kangasniemi.fi

NATURE TRAILS

0394
KUTEMAJÄRVI NATURE TRAIL
The trail is well suited for trekking. It allows you to get acquinted with typical forests of the Savo province. You will find out how versatile and fascinating a ”usual” commercial forest can be. The idea behind the trail is not to lead you to natural peculiarities but you will be certain to find them anyway along the route too. The trail starts and finishes in the village of Kutemajärvi, about 15 km towards Pieksämäki from Kangasniemi main village.
The trail is 11 km long but towards the end of it there is a short-cut you can take if going round the whole trail feels too daunting.The route is marked.
Inquiries:
tel. 0400 653 587
Internet:
http://kutemajarvi.knmss.net/
SIIKAJÄRVI NATURE TRAIL

Siikajärvi nature trail offers trekking and recreation opportunities throughout the year. In the winter the trail serves as a well-maintained ski track. The route goes through primaeval forest as well as examples of intensive forestry. There are also two lean-to:s along the route for breaks.The trail is 6.3 km to the turning point, i.e. its total length is 12.6 km.
The trail starts at the Toukola village hall,  24 km from Kangasniemi main village.
Inquiries:
Juhani Tahvonen tel. 044 5549 361
Ismo Manninen tel 040 5411 495

SINIVUORI TREKKING TRAIL

The 5 km long Sinivuori trekking trail runs in the Rutakoski village about 28 km from Kangasniemi main village. The trail starts from Rutakoskentie -road.
The route has four information boards on the special natural traits of the terrain. The trail has been marked in lilac paint on poles and trees. The trail will take you up to the top of Sinivuori,  the path will rise 100 metres during a hike of about 500 metres. At the top there is a hut, a resting place with a possibility to make a fire.
Inguiries:
Heimo Laukkarinen tel. 044 5193 212

SUUROLA NATURE TRAIL AND BIRD-WATCHING TOWER

The nature trail and the bird-watching tower are only at a 4 km distance from Kangasniemi main village towards Hokka. The route has 27 information points where you can read about the surrounding nature.
There is a bird-watching tower at the turning point, 4 km from the start. There you can monitor Suurolanlahti -bay’s large bird population. There is also an atmospheric hut where you can make a fire. The The total length of the nature trail is 8 km.
Inquiries:
Taimi Kuusjärvi, tel. 040 7043 857

4514
LÄSÄKOSKEN KARTANO MANOR
www.lasakoski.fi
Läsäkoski is situated on an isthmus between lakes Kyyvesi and Puulavesi. A sawmill and a mill used to operate there and the community was a financially important fishing place as early as the 17th century. 
9757
NAARAJOKI CANOEING ROUTE-
All-in-all the Naarajoki canoeng route is 110 km long,  60 km of it are rivers. There are  resting and sleeping places along the route. The Naarajoki route is a veritable ”water nature trail”.  It starts from lake Naarajärvi in Pieksämäki and runs through rivers Naarajoki and Nykälänjoki, lake Kyyvesi, Läsäkoski rapids and lake Rauhajärvi into lake Puulavesi in Kangasniemi. A route map is sold for instance at Kangasniemi municipal hall. The services part of the map is updated yearly.

– Open pdf –
Services along the Naarajoki-Kyyvesi-Puulavesi route   – Open pdf –
Additional information:
Tourist information tel. 040 1391 360

taidelinna'
PEKKA HILTUNEN’S ART CASTLE
The Art Castle on the Jyväskylä main road is open by previous appointment. The castle itself,  build from the stones of four cowsheds, was  completed in 1991. The art consists of paintings, wooden reliefs and antiques. Coffee is available. And food can be arranged by prior arrangement.
Further information:
Eeva and Pekka Hiltunen,
tel. 050 307 4886
POAM
PENTTILÄ OPEN AIR MUSEUM
Lucien den Arend’s sculpture park at Penttilän Manor.
Seppäläntie 860
51200 Kangasniemi
tel. 044 264 1212
lucien@denarend.com
www.poam.ws
0555
PIRTIN PERINNEPUISTO / PIRTTI TRADITION PARK
The beautiful park with its traditional garden plants is next door to the Rantatori market square on lake Puulavesi. The park boasts more than 200 traditional plant varieties from Kangasniemi. The old-fashioned plants are donations from people all over the municipality. They all represent particular varieties that have been grown in Kangasniemi for ages, hundreds of years even. Some are medicinal plants, others were grown for decorative purposes or as herbs. Thanks to the tradition park’s abundance of information on old plant varieties  it has  become a nationally famous point of interest. The plants are labelled in Finnish and Latin. The park also has a small bandstand, Pikku Pirtti, a number of sculptures and a fountain.The park was established by the Kangasniemen Pihapuutarhurit gardening society
 PUKKISELÄN LINTUTORNI / PUKKISELKÄ BIRD WATCHING TOWER

One of the best bird watching towers in the Finnish lakeland area stands by the Luusniementie -road. The reed-filled bay has a plentiful bird population. Some of the most handsome species are swans and  ospreys.  The tower has a roof so that the most eager ornithologists can even stay the night.

Additional information  from the Tourist information, tel. 040 1391 360

SCULPTURES AND MEMORIAL PLAQUES
1265
PLAQUE TO MARK OTTO MANNINEN’S BIRTH PLACE
The plaque to commemorate poet and professor Otto Manninen’s birth place can be found in Rasinkangas, by the Hokantie – road. It was unveiled in 1955 by Kangasniemi’s history and museum society.
Otto Manninen wrote a great part of his literary production in Kangasniemi. His wife Anni Swan also spent a lot of time at the family’s summer place on an island in lake Puulavesi. 
1531
KAUKOMIELI, SCULPTURE IN MEMORY OF OTTO MANNINEN IN ANNI SWAN PARK
The year 1997 marked the 125th  anniversary of birth of the Kangasniemi-born poet.  Kaukomieli, a memorial for Otto Manninen by sculptor Ukri Merikanto stands quite deservedly in the Anni Swanin puisto -park in the centre of Kangasniemi.
hiski
PLAQUE TO MARK HISKI SALOMAA’S BIRTH PLACE
The famour song writer Hiski Salomaa’s (Lännen Lokari, Iitin Tiltu etc.) birthplace by the Luusniementie -road is decorated with a memorial plaque. Hiski Salomaa (born Hiskias Möttö) was born in Tipsalo crofter’s cottage in Luusniemi on 17.5.1891 as his mother’s, village taylor Anna-Leena Möttö’s illegitimate child. After the death of his mother the 17-year-old Hiski emigarad to America with some friends from Kangasniemi. Thanks to his comic songs that appealed to a Finnish sense of humour, his imitating talent and stage charisma Hiski became the most popular Finnish performer on the new continent.
1235
MONUMENT FOR HISKI SALOMAA
A monument to commemorate Hiski Salomaa, the comic song master, was unveiled in summer 2009. The initiative for the monument came from amateur theatre Ilona. It was sculpted by Juhani Saksa and now it stands in the Pirtin Perinnepuisto -tradition park by the Rantatori market square and lake Puulavesi.Portrait: sand blasting by Heikki Räsänen
sotkalintu
SOTKALINTU,  SCULPTURE IN MEMORY OF REINHOLD VON BECKERIN
Sculptor Veikko Haukkavaara’s work ”Sotkalintu” was completed in 1985. Kangasniemi municipality commissioned it on the Kalevala’s anniversary year to honour Reinhold von Beckerin (1788-1858).  The Sotkalintu -bird stands near  main road 13 at the entrance to Kiviniemi camping site.
1079
MEMORIAL TO THE GREAT NORTHERN WAR
The memorial stands by Kirkkoniementie -road between the municipal hall and the church.
Text: ”On 25.1.1714 during the Great Northern War captain R. Långström’s 120 strong partisan detail surprised a Russian group of 80 men. 31 of them were killed and 19 taken prisoner. The Finns lost 9 men. Regional history society  1974”
nälkävuodet
MEMORIAL STONE FOR THE FAMINE  OF 1867-68
In front of the Local History Museum
Text :”In memory of those who died of  hunger and dearth during the years of the great crop failure.
Kangasniemi agrarian culture foundation 1970” The shape of the municipality of Kangasniemi has been hewn into the stone.
pioneerikompp
ENGINEER COMPANY PLAQUE
Municipal hall lobby
A Finnish building contractor found the plaque in 1998 in Jänisjärvi, near Suistamo, on the Russian side of the border.
Transferred to Kangasniemi in 1999
The text hewn in the stone plaque: ”34.PionK 23.10.-39”
vapaussota
1918 WAR OF INDEPENDENCY
Old cemetary
Text: ” In memory of our sons killed in 1918 in the Finnish War of Independence 1 erected by Kangasniemi congregation”
Graves for eight soldiers
1918
MEMORIAL FOR THOSE WHO DIED FOR THEIR CONVICTION
Old cemetary
Text: ”In memory of those who died for their conviction in 1918, workers’ organisations of Kangasniemi”
1259
MONUMENT ERECTED IN 1988 BY TELKONLAHDEN TIE -ROAD BY  THE WORKERS’ ASSOCIATION:
Text: ”Red prisoners Armas Hytönen (born 1901 in Kotka) and Werner Anttoninpoika Wiiala (born in Mustasalo) who had escaped from the prison camp on the near-by Leppäniemi farm were executed at this spot on 19.4.1918. Their bodies were later transferred to Kangasniemi old cemetary.
1085
SOLDIERS’ GRAVES
Next to the church in the old cemetary
Monument: Dying soldier by Lauri Leppänen, 1956
312 soldiers’ graves
1093
MEMORIAL FOR THOSE WHO REMAINED IN KARELIA
Old cemetary
Text: ”In memory of those who fell and remained in Karelia, the Karelians in Kangasniemi”
Erected in 1954
muuallehaudatut
MEMORIAL STONE FOR THOSE BURIED ELSEWHERE
Old cemetary
The present memorial stone is by Juhani Saksa, 2011. 
1226
MEMORIAL FOR KANGASNIEMI’S FORMER CHURCHES
Old cemetary
Designing artist Ilmari Virkkala
Stone cutting and engraving Holmin kiviveistämö from Kangasniemi
Erected in 1958 by Kangasniemi congregation
Text: ”Here stood Kangasniemi’s first church built in the 1650s by Nisu Fränti as well as the second church built by August Sorsa in 1748 which burnt down in 1808.
Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men”
The second church’s cruciform foundations are visible as a low stone edging. 
sotaanlähtö
MEMORIAL TO THE DEPARTURE TO WAR
Liekki / The Flame by Juhani Saksa
Pirtin Perinnepuisto -tradition park
Unveiled on Veterans’ Day 1993
Teksti: ”This memorial is an hommage to the men of Kangasniemi who took part in the 1939-44 wars.”
Donated by Kangasniemi municipality 
pöllö
sammakko
DEPARTURE AND CROAKER BY  JUHANI SAKSA
Pirtin Perinnepuisto -tradition park
Donated by Kangasniemi entrepreneurs in 1997
otso
OTSO BY JUHANI SAKSA
Pirtin Perinnepuisto -tradition park
Memorial to the centennary of Kangasniemi Pharmacy in 1997
1039
MOTHER’S LOVE BY EMIL CEDERCREUTZ
Pirtin Perinnepuisto – tradition park
Donated to Kangasniemi municipality by the Emil Cedercreutz foundation in 2012
joutsantie
MEMORIAL STONE OF PYLVÄNÄLÄN-JOUTSANTIE -ROAD
by Kuupelontie -road, near Joutsantie -road, a large natural stone  protected under the Antiquities Act
An information board next to the stone
The road was built as relief work during the 1868-1880 year of famine. The road was used for a hundred years.
1267
MEMORIAL TO THE BUILDERS OF KERIKANNANTIE -ROAD By Kerikannantie -road
Erected on  27.9.2008

Additional information from the Tourist information
tel. 040 1391 360


TULOSTA SIVU TULOSTA SIVU